Our recipe today is really easy to make with only six ingredients however it is very nutritive. It is made with onions, tomatoes, cilantro, salt, chili powder and lemon juice.
To make onions palatable and to remove the sting, there are two methods that can be used. The first method is to rub them with salt and then thoroughly rinse the salt out. The second method that this can be done is to soak the onions in boiling water for a minute or so, then pour the water out.
Tomatoes are okay to use as they are, they only need to be cubed. They need to firm though, if they are too soft then they will make the salad watery.
The avocado needs to be well ripened, but again not too soft. This makes it easy to mash, while maintaining the nice appetising colour.
The cilantro needs to be fresh and then should be chopped finely. Cilantro gives the salad a very aromatic scent and makes it very tasty.
Avocado is the major ingredient in this salad. Avocados are a very unique fruit. It is high in healthy fats and unlike other fruits it does not have alot of carbohydrates.
Avocados do not contain any cholesterol or sodium and are low in saturated fat. There are many types of avocado that vary in shape and color — from pear-shaped to round and green to black. They can also weigh anywhere from 8 ounces (220 grams) to 3 pounds (1.4 kg).
What are some of the Nutritional Facts of an Avocado
Avocados Have Numerous Health Benefits
- Avocados Are a Heart-Healthy, incredibly Nutritious superfood Avocados are nutrient-dense and provide substantial amounts of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients with relatively few calories. One-half of a medium avocado (75 g) has about 120 calories and contributes nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. Some of the vitamins and minerals in avocado’s include
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin E
- It also contains small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous and vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin).
- Loaded with Heart Healthy Fats – The avocado is virtually the only fruit that contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fat – good fat!
- Avocados are loaded with fibre – tend to be rich in fiber — about 7% by weight, which is very high compared to most other foods. Fiber may have important benefits for weight loss and metabolic health.
- Naturally Sodium-, Sugar- and Cholesterol-Free – California Avocados are naturally sodium-, sugar- and cholesterol-free.
- A Unique Fruit – Avocados can act as a “nutrient booster” by helping increase the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients such as vitamins A, D, K and E.
- Great for Babies and Kids -The avocado’s creamy consistency makes it one of the first fresh foods a baby can enjoy.
- Avocados Can Lower Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels – Studies have shown that eating avocado can improve heart disease risk factors like total, “bad” LDL and “good” HDL cholesterol, as well as blood triglycerides.
- Avocado May Help Prevent Cancer – Some test-tube studies have shown that nutrients in avocados may have benefits in preventing prostate cancer and/ or lowering side effects of chemotherapy. However, human-based research is lacking.
- Antioxidants – Avocados Are Loaded With Powerful Antioxidants That Can Protect Your Eyes
- Arthritis – Studies have shown that avocado and soybean oil extracts can significantly reduce symptoms of osteoarthritis.
How To Enjoy This Delicious Avocado Salad
- as a side dish for any meal of the day
- with chapati cut in small pieces as a snack
- as a sandwich filler with bread
- as an addition to a wrap
- as a snack with tortilla chips
1 medium Avocado ( ripe)
1/2 cup Tomatoes
1/2 cup Cilantro
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons lemon Juice
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Chop onions in cubes, do not make them too fine. Pour boiling water in them and let them sit for about one minute then drain.
- Chop tomatoes in cubes, same size as onions.
- Chop cilantro finely.
- Peel the avocado and mash lightly.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well, do not make smooth.